17.9.09

Fun at the BMV

As many of you know, yesterday was my birthday. To celebrate I thought I would head to the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) to renew my driver's license. When I get there, it turns out that I need my SS card, or some form of picture ID with my SSN. When given the option to put my SSN on my ID, I always opt not to, because if someone steals my wallet then they have my SSN too.

So, I wasted a trip to the BMV. No big deal, I'll just go back today. When I went in today, they inform me that since my out of state license expired yesterday, I now have to get a temporary permit and take a driving test, in addition to the written test that is normally required!

I take the written test. Passed on the first attempt. There are 2 other people taking that test at the same time. I finish before both of them (I'm good at tests).

I go to the next room, wait 15 minutes, and purchase my Temp Driving Permit that allows me to drive w/a 21 yr old licensed driver in the passenger seat next to me. $22 down the drain.

Back to the testing room, the man behind the desk processes my forms. (I see the same guy in the back still taking the written test.) The desk guy points to a sign on the wall and tells me to read it. It looks like this...
Keep in mind that it's been close to 20 years since I last did this, and on this particular day I drove a Toyota 4Runner SUV to the BMV. If I knew I was going to have to do this before I came, I would have borrowed my sister's MINI. Instead I roll up to the obstacle course and have maybe 4 inches on each side of the car from cone to cone. Personal embarrassment aside, if I fail this test, I have to reschedule 2 weeks later, and won't legally be able to drive by myself.

By some miracle, I navigate my behemoth of a car through the cones w/out knocking any of them over. I proceed with the rest of the road test and find myself back in the testing room. (The same dude is still taking the written test).

They send me next door, where they take my freshly minted Temp Driving Permit and $23, and give me a new driver's license.

The good news is that I found a new White Castle on the way home. I normally like to celebrate special moments with some Chick-Fil-A, but White Castle works too.

There are probably a lot of lessons you can draw from this experience:

  • Don't let your driver's license expire.
  • Study hard in school. (That same dude is probably still taking the written test).
  • If you have to wait a little bit at White Castle, it means fresh fries!

1 comment: