1.9.09

TapWord Review

OK, to launch this blog, I'm going to review an app that's been keeping me up late at night. This app is called TapWord and I downloaded it for free from the AppStore. I don't remember if it was a promotional thing or if it was always free, but I didn't pay for it.

In TapWord, you are given a set of letters arranged in a 4x4 square and you have to use your finger to connect adjacent letters to make three-letter words or longer.

As you make valid words, they are added to your word list, and you are awarded points. If you attempt to make a word that isn't a word then you will hear a drum sound to let you know.

Eventually time will run down, and with 10 seconds left, your iPhone vibrates to let you know its almost over.

After time expires, it gives you your total score and tells you the % of total words you found. It also shows you the list of all possible words. I hover around 14-20%. It's actually easier to get a higher percentage on tough boards with few vowels. If you get to play this, you'll know what I mean.

There are options to expand the board size to 5x5 and increase the minimum word length to four-letter words. I have yet to play the 5x5 board, just looking at it is mind-numbing, but this may be my next challenge.

This game is very addictive and super fun! I have spent hours putting words together. I would put this in my current top 10 iPhone apps.

There is a downside, but I'm still trying to figure out who to blame for this. You see, when the game is over and I get the list of possible words; I think to myself, "Is that really a word?" I was always better at math anyway.

TapWord does a great job of exercising your mind, but it does make your brain hurt after a while. After long sessions, I have to do something mindless like Farmville or Mafia Wars.


No comments:

Post a Comment